All PDFs and documents on Krieger websites need to be legally accessible to all users, and legally allowed on the website. Starting September 1, 2020, PDFs that do not meet these standards may be deleted from Krieger School websites. Please consider our PDF guidelines when uploading new documents to your sites. In particular, posters, brochures, and newsletters should not be uploaded to your website in PDF form.
Krieger Web Services is changing the plugin (software) used to add events and calendars to your website in April. The calendar we have used since 2016 no longer has technical support, but we are pleased to provide you a replacement that works approximately the same as the current plugin. If you do not currently use the calendar, you have the option to add the new plugin, or disregard this email.
You can still add dates, times, locations, links, categories, and images to events. Some of the new features in this plugin include: event categorizing and tagging, Keyword Search, and the ability to add events into your News feed. Please keep in mind that events should still follow these guidelines:
- Unique Title
- Start and end date and time
- At least a 10 word description of the event
- Featured images should be a headshot or other image of the speaker. Please see our Image Policies for more information.
- We discourage the uploading of event flyers, either as a PDF or an image, to your events. These are rarely accessible, and contain redundant information that should be in the event description/body anyway.
We are currently working to migrate all your existing calendars into this new plugin, and the changes are being made on each site over the next few weeks. If you have any questions or see any issues with new tool/plugin, please send us a web request. or consult The Events Calendar support section.
Admins may notice a slight change on their websites: the primary blue color now reflects the updated JHU Brand Guidelines.
To act as the identifying colors of the university, Heritage Blue is the new primary color. The hex code changes from #0057ac to #002d72.
Websites still using the old Flagship Generic theme will be migrated to the more recent KSAS Lab, Faculty, Intranet Theme in the coming weeks.
The current Flagship Generic theme built nearly 7 years ago and contains a several outdated, though still functioning, frameworks and libraries. The Krieger Web Services team has not offered this theme for new websites for the past several years, and is now moving to sunset it.
This new theme is built with the most current version of Foundation, with a focus on accessibility, responsiveness, and device adaptability.
What will not change
- Your content. No content will be edited, and everything will remain in WordPress.
- Website structure. No information architecture modifications will be made with the theme switchover.
- Overall layout. The layout of the new theme is very similar to the layout of your current theme, especially the vertical menu.
What’s new in this theme
- New Branding Colors. Following the updated JHU Brand Guidelines, the theme now offers two blue color options: Heritage and Spirit Blue. The default color will be Heritage Blue.
- Lack of background image. Even with ever increasing viewport sizes, analytics show only a tiny fraction of the current background image is visible to a large majority of users. Additionally, the background image does not even currently appear on mobile or tablet devices. These images have been removed in the name of responsiveness and device adaptability.
- Wider content area. To meet the growing demands of larger and varied monitor sizes, your main content area now fits the full viewport width.
- Better Accessibility. This new theme better meets World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), version 2.1 Level AA conformance.
Please feel free to email us with any questions or concerns.