Always use appropriate PPE!
When improperly used, gloves can contaminate objects and surfaces and create exposure to chemical hazards. If you or others experience an acute health effect as a result of chemical contamination, it can be difficult to determine which chemical was the source of the exposure. Reduce the likelihood of chemical contamination by:
- Changing gloves when contaminated. Never touch door knobs or handles with gloves!
- Discarding gloves immediately after use. Never reuse disposable nitrile gloves!
- Removing gloves prior to handling personal items, such as cell phones and laptops.
- Removing gloves and washing hands before leaving the lab.
- Establishing glove-only and no-glove items such as: mice, keyboards, instruments, pens.