The Krieger Web Services Team can provide email newsletter template design and delivery through Mail Chimp for departmental newsletters that are sent out once a year or less.
Departments that send newsletters more than once a year, but less than monthly, should contact Krieger Web Services to discuss template design and delivery assistance.
Departments that send out weekly or monthly newsletters must design and deliver newsletters on their own. However, it is expected these newsletters follow the standards as outlined on the Brand Guidelines website to the best of their ability.
Working with Images
The Office of Marketing and Communications will select all branding photos, along with all faculty and staff headshots. These may be rotated out at the change of a semester or at the end of the year. If you would like your site’s photos changed, or a faculty member requests a different headshot, please contact us.
Custom or generated images are subject to approval. We reserve the right to remove any images, especially clipart, that do not comply with our standards for quality and/or content.
To save server space, images (along with pdfs and any other file type) that are more than 1 year old, and not attached to or linked from any page or post will be deleted without notice.
Best Practices for Images
- Avoid group shots. Instead, go for tight shots with 1-3 students engaged, hands-on, and/or active. Images related to research can also work.
- Aim for overall diverse representation of students.
- Use correct JHU branding, including appropriate logos and fonts. JHU should be prominent in typography or logo on front of presentations, brochures, etc.
- Avoid images that have text as part of the image. Low vision, blind, and dyslexic users will not be able to read the text in the image with their assistive technologies.
- Images added to the body of a post or page (not a featured image), should be inserted as a gallery, even if just one. These images must also contain a caption explaining the image.
- To ensure clean responsiveness, images should not be aligned/floated left or right.
Images should be no wider than 1400px and be smaller than 100 KB to allow for quicker page load times. Web-optimized images are typically 72 DPI. Due to limited server space, images larger than 500 KB may be taken down without notice. For Mac users, the ImageOptim app provides an easy way to reduce image size without compromising quality.
If you have a lot of images, we strongly recommend uploading them to OneDrive or creating a department Flickr account and linking where appropriate.
WordPress also offers a way to create an image gallery. Click the “Add Media” button and upload your images. Be sure to fill out the alt text box with a description of the image for each file you upload. Click “Create Gallery” in the left-hand menu. Select the images and click “Create Gallery.”
Order your images, add captions, set the number of columns you’d like, and click “Insert Gallery.”
Image Gallery Example
Using the Calendar Plugin
We offer the Time.ly WordPress solution for your department or program’s online calendar. Here’s a quick walkthrough of the “Add New” event page. Additional training videos are provided by the plugin’s developers.
- Title: title of event
- Event Details:
- Is the event all-day? If yes, check the box. Does it have an end time? If not, check the box.
- Start and end date/time fields
- Time zone: Should be New York. If not, please set.
- Repeat? If your event repeats weekly or monthly, check here and input repeating days/times.
- Event Location Details:
- Venue name
- Venue address (if applicable)
- Do not input coordinates
- Show Map function is optional
- Event Cost and Tickets: Time.ly tickets are not available, so please check “No Tickets” or “External Tickets.” If checking “External Tickets,” please enter the URL for the tickets.
- Organizer Contact Info:
- Contact name
- Website URL (where applicable)
- Content Field: Enter body text for event.
- Categories: Is this event a Symposium? Lecture? Something else?
- Enter and select the appropriate event category here. Keep the categories as streamlined as possible, as they allow users to sort events by type on the calendar page.
- Featured Image: Similar to news posts, upload an image related to the event here.