We ARE holding a program either in person or remotely Summer 2021. Applications are now open and will close 2/15/2021.
The theme of this program is using comparative models for understanding behavior. The program includes faculty working on diverse taxa (bats, owls, primates and rodents) to answer fundamental questions on behavioral biology. Areas of research include ethology, neurobiology and neuroendocrinology. A unique focus of the program will be an emphasis on the power of using comparative models when tackling scientific questions, from evolutionary to mechanistic. A main goal of this program is for students to gain highly focused insight through research on specific projects while concurrently placing those activities into the larger context of biological evolution.
Participants will be mentored by the principal investigator of the lab in which they are placed. A postdoctoral fellow or graduate student in that lab will provide daily supervision and guidance in research. Social activities and field trips are planned throughout the summer with the JHU Bio REU group.
Participants will be provided with:
- $600 /week stipend
- Free housing on/adjacent to campus
- Travel funds to and from JHU
The National ScienceFoundation is committed to broadening participation in STEM fields. We encourage minorities in STEM, first generation college students, students from colleges that lack research opportunities and students with financial need to apply.
The program will take place over a 10-week period beginning in early June. The main components of the program are:
- Conducting research in faculty mentor labs full time culminating in a presentation at a university-wide research symposium at the end of the program.
- An in depth Scientific Foundations Course that includes Animal Welfare and Research Ethics, How to Search the Literature, Experimental Design, Statistics, Scientific Writing, Oral Scientific Presentations, Poster Design and Big Topic Discussions on behavior, evolution and neuroscience.
- Professional development including GRE preparation, curriculum vitae writing, grad school application preparation and a networking workshop.
Program Director: Dr. Kirsten Bohn email@example.com