Over 85% of the mass density of the universe is currently detectable only through gravitational interactions. Of the remaining ~15% known as “ordinary” matter, many questions persist, including the origins of the masses of charged leptons, the origin of the matter-antimatter asymmetry, and the true nature of neutrinos as Dirac or Majorana particles. These questions, and others, indicate that our current models, while impressive, are not complete.
Current searches for physics beyond the standard model combine advanced instrumentation and quantum sensing techniques with nuclear and particle astrophysics, to seek out answers that will ultimately give us new insight into fundamental physics and cosmology. Our lab is particularly focused on using low-energy, cryogenic detection techniques to search for dark matter interactions and neutrinoless double-beta decay. Ultimately, our goal is to find new physics that will help us to gain a better understanding of the nature of matter and mass.
New Projects Available (additional projects may be available – please contact Prof. Speller for more information.)
– HAYSTAC axion dark matter search using tunable microwave cavities
– Cryogenic Detector R&D
– Low energy dark matter searches (WIMP, axion)
– Sensor & detector characterization and testing
– Detector R&D
– Software development for laboratory instrumentation (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xj-NyWt3ZpEhTw0Kr2mPkH-OYQA8gechh8SgRDq85dA/edit?usp=sharing)