2019 Summer Internship Grant
Thanks to the philanthropy of the Second Decade Society, several grants are available to Hopkins students who take summer internships. Internships must be unpaid or sponsored by a nonprofit. Grant funding is specifically intended to support living and travel expenses incurred by participation in the internship. Internships must be a minimum of 8 weeks.
Full-time freshmen, sophomores, and juniors enrolled in the School of Arts & Sciences. Priority will be given to exceptional candidates with demonstrated financial need.
Award recipients receive the following:
- Without Hopkins Grant Aid: Up to $3,000 (pro-rated at $250 per week) toward summer living expenses.
- With Hopkins Grant Aid: up to $3,000 (pro-rated at $250 per week) toward summer living expenses and up to $2,000 to replace unmet need in the “Self Help” portion of the student’s financial aid package. (Please Note: The student must also apply for grant aid for the following Academic Year in order to receive the award.) ** If you are receiving Hopkins Grant Aid, please submit a copy of your financial aid award letter for the current academic year with your application.
How do I find an internship?
Students are expected to develop their own internships as part of the learning process. However, the Career Center can assist with the search by offering networking opportunities, resources, and individual advising.
How do I apply?
1) Fill out the FY19 Summer Internship Grant Application
2) Submit all application materials to Rebecca Feldman via email (email@example.com) or in person (Office of External Affairs, Suite 500-W, Wyman Park Building) no later than Monday, February 11, 2019 at noon.
**Please Note: You MAY apply for an SDS Summer Internship Grant even if you have not yet secured your internship.**
Application packets must include:
- Internship Proposal
- Proposed budget (no longer than 1 page in length)
- Two or more professional letters of reference. Letters must accompany your application upon submission and may be submitted from faculty, administrators, or the directors of programs in which you were involved. If recommender prefers to send letter directly to board, they must send it to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to Monday, February 11.
- Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Contact information of your potential sponsor if available (name, job title, organization name, address, phone number, fax number, email, and web address)
- Applicants on Hopkins Grant Aid Only: copy of current academic year financial aid award letter
All items must be received by Monday, February 11, 2019.
A selection committee of SDS board members will review all applications and determine the finalists who will interview on-campus. Candidates will receive notice of their finalist status on/around March 18, 2019. On-campus interviews will take place on Friday, April 5, 2019. Students may phone-in to participate, but attending in-person is highly recommended. Winners will receive notice of their award on/before Monday, April 15, 2019.
What are the selection criteria?
The selection committee will consider the following factors:
- Clarity and strength of internship objective, action steps, and learning goals
- Relationship between internship and applicant’s academic and career goals
- Proposed documentation of outcomes
- Documentation from prospective employer regarding intern responsibilities
- Quality and strength of interview: communication skills, presentation of proposal, and professional appearance