Eligibility, Purpose, and Scope
Travel grants are available to undergraduate majors or minors in the Department of Mathematics who are presenting a paper or poster at a conference. These awards can be used for hotel accommodations, transportation, poster printing costs, and conference registration fees.
Typical awards are in the range $50 – $500. These awards should be expected to supplement funds from other sources rather than provide full support for a trip.
Award applications must include:
- A completed application form including a detailed budget and budget justification.
- An abstract or research statement summarizing the paper or poster.
- A short letter of endorsement from a current faculty member of the department.
In addition, the student must provide:
- A copy of the acceptance notification of the student’s presentation.
- A description of other funds available to and/or applied for by the student.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted at least two months in advance of travel. Retroactive submissions will not be accepted.
Please read and understand the following important information regarding the reimbursement process for your travel funding:
- Funds are disbursed as a travel reimbursement, not a travel advance. It is important that you keep all original copies of your receipts for all items for which you expect reimbursement. For expenses purchased with a credit card, the receipt must show the last four digits of the credit card that was charged. If the original receipt is electronic, it may be submitted as long as the receipt shows that the expense was paid in full.
- Travel reimbursement funds are supplemental funds. Departmental funds are to be used after other sources of funding have been exhausted.
- Students who are not already in JHU payroll will be reimbursed as a non-employee. A valid mailing address is required for non-employee reimbursements.
- If you have any questions about the reimbursement process you can contact Richard Brown (Director of Undergraduate Studies) at 410-516-8179 or email@example.com.
Applications should be submitted via email to Richard Brown.