E210 Time Records

The E210 system is the official university time-keeping system to be used by all full- and part-time staff members. It is used to document time worked, paid and unpaid leaves, holidays, vacation and sick leave accrual, etc. The system was developed to meet federal grant reporting requirements. Each employee is required to submit his/her E210 as soon as possible after the end of each month.  Non-exempt employees (employees eligible for overtime pay) must enter the hours that they have worked and their leave usage on a weekly basis by Wednesday of the following workweek.  Timesheets are approved  by the supervisor or timekeeper.  Timely completion and approval each month insures the transfer of money (credit) from the Benefits Pool to the department for paid sick and vacation time taken.  Remember, use of leave is based on current leave accruals; therefore, it is important that the E210 be completed in a timely manner.

Faculty and holders of appointed research positions do not complete E210’s for themselves, although they may be on the system as supervisors and/or timekeepers for staff members.

The E210s for bargaining unit members are completed by their supervisors.

Absences, Sick Leave Accrual

Sick leave for full-time staff members is accrued at the rate of one day per month worked, up to a maximum of 90 days. Part-time staff members who work on a regularly scheduled basis accrue sick leave on a pro rata basis. Limited, temporary, and casual staff members do not accrue sick leave and are not eligible for leave of absence.

In accordance with the Maryland Flexible Leave Act, a staff member who must be absent due to the illness or injury of an immediate family member or to accompany an immediate family member to a dental or medical appointment can charge the absence to accrued leave (sick, vacation, or floating holiday). Please see the E210 codes listing to charge the absence appropriately.

Accrued sick leave cannot be taken in advance of being earned. Accrued sick leave will not be paid out to the employee upon termination. (However, there are provisions for paying out sick leave in excess of 44 days accrued upon retirement.) Please see the university’s policies on sick leave and absences for staff for additional details.


Vacations with pay are granted to all full-time and part-time staff members. Accrued vacation leave is available the first of the month following accrual. Vacation accrual begins the month the staff member begins working if the starting date of employment is the 10th of the month or earlier; otherwise the vacation accrual begins the following month. Full-time staff members working less than 37.5 hours per week and part-time staff members who work at least 19 hours on a regularly scheduled basis earn vacation on a pro rata basis. Limited-time, temporary, and casual staff members do not earn vacation.

Employees are eligible to take vacation leave after completing 90 days of continuous service in a regular full-time or part-time status. Supervisors can waive the waiting period. Vacation cannot be taken in advance of being earned.

Accrued vacation for eligible employees (up to a maximum of 44 days) must be taken within 24 months of the month of which it is earned. Once the maximum vacation is accrued, no additional time can be accrued until some is used and the total falls below the maximum of 44 days. Exceptions may be made only when the chair submits documentation to KSAS HR that vacation has been deferred at the university’s request. To allow vacation accrual in excess of the maximum, an electronic E210 adjustment form (found on the bottom of the time administrators E210 screen), must be completed by the department payroll coordinator or the E210 time administrator and submitted to the KSAS payroll coordinator. KSAS HR must sign the E210 adjustment form and then will submit it to the E210 Help Office for correction.

Staff members who terminate following 90 days or more of employment will be paid for unused vacation leave up to a maximum of 44 days.

Please see the E210 codes listing to charge the vacation appropriately. Additional information can be found on the University’s Policy – Vacation Leave for staff.

New Hires

Information appearing on an employee’s E210 originates with the approved hiring ISR.  Users login to the E210 using their JHED ID and password. Users that do not currently know their JHED ID and password should create their login ID and password as soon as possible. To do so, users should connect to the JHED server at http://my.johnshopkins.edu and follow the directions for establishing a JHED ID and password. Call E210 Help at 410-516-4357 for assistance.

E-210 System Problems

Although information for the E210 initially comes from the information input into SAP through the hiring ISR, payroll updates may not always reflect on the E210. Therefore, modifications not transferred directly from the payroll system must be corrected by an E210 administrator. While each department has its own E210 administrator, some changes may have to be made by KSAS HR.

The E210 Help Desk may be contacted at 410-516-4357. Department administrators may contact the KSAS payroll specialist at 410-516-6438 for answers to general questions about the system.

One common error with the E210 system is improper accrual of vacation and/or sick leave. One reason for inaccurate accrual rates is errors in the payroll system, i.e. hours or days per week worked, employment date, etc. Once these are corrected via an ISR, the supervisor should complete an E210 adjustment form and forward it to the KSAS payroll specialist (see contact information below) for approval. The E210 adjustment form will be signed by KSAS HR and then forwarded to the divisional payroll records coordinator for processing or troubleshooting E210 problems.



  • When an employee leaves one department to take a position in another department, the receiving department will process the ISR to reassign the employee to the new department. Once the ISR has been processed and the system is uploaded, the E210 records will be corrected to reflect the new information. Which department (old or new) approves current month’s E210 depends on when in the month person transfers and when the ISR is processed and approved.
  • Please do not enter “T” on the E-210 for a transfer. Use this code only if the person leaves the university (termination).


  • HR Payroll will check to see if the vacation payout (if allowable) agrees with the amount on the E-210. (This is when the “T” code is entered on E-210.)

Floating Holidays

Staff members employed as of July 1, but no later than December 31, will have two floating holidays available during the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).  Staff members employed as of January 1, but no later than May 31, will have one floating holiday to use prior to June 30 of that year.  See the Personnel Policy Manual for additional information. Floating holidays cannot be carried over from one fiscal year to another.

Floating holidays not taken during the fiscal year are lost. Floating holidays must be taken in full-day increments. At termination, there is no payment for unused floating holidays.

For those Homewood campus staff who work Commencement Day, the “X” which is indicated on Commencement Day in the E210 system would remain indicating that day was worked and the code “AH” (Alternate Holiday) would be indicated for the day taken in its place with an explanation.

Short- and Long-Term Disability

Department administrators are required to notify KSAS HR whenever an employee plans to take a leave of absence. Based on the type of leave to be scheduled, KSAS HR will issue a letter to the employee regarding the appropriate terms and conditions associated with the leave of absence. After receiving the letter from KSAS HR, employees who have elected short-term disability during the annual benefits period may apply for benefits by contacting directly the short term disability benefit carrier, The Hartford. Once the short term disability has been approved by The Hartford, the insurance carrier will forward a letter of determination directly to the employee’s supervisor of record. In the majority of cases, those qualifying for short-term disability are also eligible for FML. Please see the section on FMLA below. The employee and the department administrator will be notified regarding approval of the short- or long-term disability. The E210 system will calculate time if the employee chooses to supplement STD with accrued time.

Overpayment of Salary While on Short-Term Disability

Department administrators are responsible for tracking employee hours of work to avoid overpayments. If there is an overpayment due to approval of STD and lag time in getting the ISR and E210 forms processed, the overpayment can be repaid via a salary reduction. The department administrator determines the amount of the overpayment, notifies KSAS HR, and forwards that information to the budget analyst at the KSAS Dean’s Office for processing. The budget analyst will contact the employee directly, determine the payback amount and schedule, and process the paperwork needed to make the corrections within SAP. The employee must be left with at least the minimum wage based on a 40-hour week after payroll deductions.

Long-Term Disability

Long-term disability (LTD) cannot be supplemented with sick time. LTD can only be supplemented with vacation time without incurring penalties for the employee.

FMLA/Worker’s Compensation

When a staff member is approved for leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act or worker’s compensation, the appropriate code(s) need to be entered into the E210 system for the period during which Family and Medical Leave (FML) is approved. E210 codes and their definitions can be found on the E210 main page. FML is not paid leave; the staff member must use sick or vacation time if it is available.

Please contact KSAS HR whenever a staff member is scheduled to be out of work for FML and/or is notified of FML/short-term disability approval so that KSAS HR can assure that the appropriate ISR is processed.

If worker’s compensation is granted, there is a three day waiting period during which the staff member receives no pay from worker’s compensation; she/he must use accrued sick/vacation pay if available. After three days of absence, the staff member will receive 66-2/3% of normal pay. She/he can choose whether or not to take supplemental vacation or sick leave. Staff members must notify their departmental administrator in writing if they want to do this. There is no code for worker’s compensation on the E210 system (other than the “E” code for 3-day waiting period).

FML can run concurrent with worker’s compensation. Sometimes long-term disability can run concurrently with worker’s compensation. Short-term disability may not run concurrently with long-term disability.