Travel and Travel Reimbursements: A Shared Responsibility

The university reimburses faculty, staff, and students for approved travel and business expenses when incurred while conducting university business.

Traveler Responsibility

Persons traveling on behalf of the university should exercise good judgment and are expected to spend funds prudently. It is the traveler’s responsibility to comply with the university’s policies governing travel costs and entertainment. An excellent resource for the traveler is the Johns Hopkins Travel Center.

The traveler must retain the required documentation so that expenses can be reimbursed. The traveler must be cognizant of expenses which are not reimbursable and should not include them in their reimbursement submission.

Prior to giving the reimbursement request to the departmental staff member for processing, the traveler should organize documentation, ensure it is complete, and clearly state the business purpose.

Departmental Reimbursement Requester Responsibility

The documentation described above is to be given to the designated staff member in the department to initiate the reimbursement process. When the staff member has fully processed the reimbursement through the SAP system, the reimbursement request will be routed to an approver.  The approver is always a different person than the initiator of the reimbursement. The university “one-up” approval policy dictates that the approver may not be someone subordinate to the traveler.

Accounts Payable Shared Services Responsibility

Final review and approval of the trip reimbursement is the responsibility of the Travel & Expense staff within Accounts Payable Shared Services (APSS).

To see the listing of staff in the business unit of APSS, go to their contact page.

Travel Advances

Travel advances are available to university faculty, staff and students who are active in the payroll system. These cash advances are to be used for necessary expenditures that cannot be covered by other means. Travel advances are not available to university consultants or independent contractors.

For the university policy on travel advances, both traveler and departmental travel administrator should consult Section AP-TRV-PR-02 Advances of the JHU Policy and Procedures Manual.

Non-Employee Reimbursement

Non-employees may be reimbursed for certain expenses related to appropriate university business. Reimbursements for non-employees are submitted through FV60 online payment request in SAP with the Non-Employee Reimbursement Form attached.