Update on Shared Governance

Dear Colleagues,

I write with good news regarding shared governance in the Krieger School. Since my last letter to you on this matter, I have had the chance to meet with the HFA sub-committee and some others. I am comfortable now that the proposed Senate will fit within a larger shared governance body, whose outlines I and my office are still drafting. Indeed, the Senate will serve as a key part of that body. I and the HFA leadership hope to be issuing a joint statement shortly on the senate election, which will go forward soon. Please pay close attention to that election. I very much hope you will be able to participate in the process.

As we think about a larger shared governance body for the Krieger School, I am eager to hear your opinions and to “test drive” some thinking we have been doing, with the intention of having that larger body in place by the fall. As I mentioned in my last letter, I believe the larger KSAS body should include tenured and non-tenure-track faculty representation, student representation both undergraduate and graduate, and participation from our chairs. 

You may be asking what function this larger body will serve. Perhaps the biggest one overall will be as a vehicle for increasing transparency to our community on how administrative decisions are made. But, as I envision it, it will also serve a key practical role in many important matters. To offer just three examples that have recently emerged: First, our 40+ interdisciplinary programs vary greatly in how they are constituted. I and my office need faculty input, so that we can think more collaboratively and transparently about how these programs are founded, what sorts of general rules they should have, and so on. Second, there are many new undergraduate-related matters that are coming our way, given the CUE2 reforms and the Krieger School’s central role therein. There too we need input from our community. Third, we lack a KSAS-wide body on graduate affairs, something this larger body could be charged with creating. There are many more matters that cross my desk, and I believe our school’s decisions will be stronger, the more that our community is involved.

I will be convening groups, including our forthcoming Senate, to discuss this matter over the summer. If you are interested in participating, please write to Chris Cannon (christopher.cannon@jhu.edu), our Vice Dean for Humanities and Social Sciences, who will be playing a key role in this process. 

Sincerely,

Chris
Christopher S. Celenza, James B. Knapp Dean
Professor of History and Classics