WordPress is the official Content Management System (CMS) of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. We adopted WordPress in October 2011 to replace both SiteExecutive and autonomous flat-file hosting. Today every academic department and program, along with over 70 research labs and faculty members, use it to manage their websites.
WordPress makes managing and editing a website incredibly easy. Because WordPress with KSAS runs on a managed, shared environment with many themes and plugins pre-installed, you don’t have to purchase any software or hosting; and maintenance is handled by the Communications Office. You simply need to manage the website through your browser.
- User friendly WYSIWYG editor: edit content without having to learn HTML
- News and Calendar: manage your news and events from within WordPress
- Drag-and-drop navigation: add, remove, or rearrange items to manage your site’s navigation
- Forms Generator: easily build a form without writing any code
- Media Manager: upload photos, graphics, PDF files, etc. (within reason!) to your site from within WordPress
What We Offer
- Several theme options, all built to address your various needs and requirements. However, we do not allow users to add their own plugins or themes.
- Free hosting with no charge to get started with an empty WordPress site
- Several WordPress and KSAS-plugin-specific training videos
- In-person training sessions
Request a Website
To start using WordPress to manage the website for your research center, institute, lab, or faculty profile, simply:
- Explore the theme options available to you
- Fill out our service request form and select “New Website” under the Request Type field
What If This Isn’t Good Enough?
We understand. Some faculty-driven research websites require more hosting space or technical granularity than we’re able to provide. So you have two other options for your personal lab/profile, or research center/institute website:
- You custom build and host on your own custom domain and server. You would be responsible for all costs, but you have complete control. You can use WordPress or something like Squarespace—it’s all up to you.
- Have JHU Web Hosting host a website for you. You can contact them and they should provide further information.