Summer Internship Grants
Thanks to the philanthropy of the Second Decade Society, several grants are available to Hopkins students who take summer internships. Internships must be unpaid or sponsored by a nonprofit. Grant funding is specifically intended to support living and travel expenses incurred by participation in the internship. Internships must be a minimum of 8 weeks.
Full-time freshmen, sophomores, and juniors enrolled in the School of Arts & Sciences. Priority will be given to exceptional candidates with demonstrated financial need.
Award recipients receive the following:
- Without Hopkins Grant Aid: Up to $3,000 (pro-rated at $250 per week) toward summer living expenses.
- With Hopkins Grant Aid: up to $3,000 (pro-rated at $250 per week) toward summer living expenses and up to $2,000 to replace unmet need in the “Self Help” portion of the student’s financial aid package. (Please Note: The student must also apply for grant aid for the following Academic Year in order to receive the award.) ** If you are receiving Hopkins Grant Aid, please submit a copy of your financial aid award letter for the current academic year to the job posting on Handshake by noon on Friday, March 9, 2018. Special preference will be given to those who have grant aid, although the amount of the aid will not be a factor.**
How do I find an internship?
Students are expected to develop their own internships as part of the learning process. However, the Career Center can assist with the search by offering networking opportunities, resources, and individual advising.
How do I apply?
1) Submit the application form on Handshake.
2) All other application materials must be submitted to the job posting on Handshake by noon on Friday, March 9, 2018.
**Please Note: You MAY apply for an SDS Summer Internship Grant even if you have not yet secured your internship.**
Application packets must include:
- Proposed budget
- Two or more professional letters of reference. Please include at least one letter from a Hopkins faculty member/instructor. One of the two letters must specifically comment on the feasibility of completing your internship and how it relates to your studies.
- Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Contact information of your potential sponsor if available (name, job title, organization name, address, phone number, fax number, email, and web address)
- Applicants on Hopkins Grant Aid Only: copy of current academic year financial aid award letter
Your Letters of Recommendation, transcript, and copy of you financial aid award letter can be sent separately to the job posting on Handshake. All items, including letters of recommendation must be received by Friday, March 9, 2018.
A selection committee of SDS board members will review all applications and determine the finalists who will interview on-campus. Candidates will receive notice of their finalist status on/around April 6, 2018. On-campus interviews will take place on Friday, April 27, 2018. Students may phone-in to participate, but attending in-person is highly recommended. Winners will receive notice of their award on/before Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
What are the selection criteria?
The selection committee will consider the following factors:
- Clarity and strength of internship objective, action steps, and learning goals
- Relationship between internship and applicant’s academic and career goals
- Proposed documentation of outcomes
- Documentation from prospective employer regarding intern responsibilities
- Quality and strength of interview: communication skills, presentation of proposal, and professional appearance