Non-Reimbursable Expenses

An employee cannot be reimbursed for the following miscellaneous personal expenses. This list is not all-inclusive.

  • Airline club membership dues
  • Airfare purchases with “points”
  • Air phone usage
  • Annual fees for personal credit cards
  • Baby-sitting
  • Barbers and hairdressers
  • Car maintenance or repairs
  • Clothing or toiletry items
  • Club membership dues
  • Commuter expenses (to and from work)
  • Corporate card delinquency fees or finance charges
  • Country club dues
  • Golf fees
  • Health club fees
  • Health insurance
  • Home computer repair or technical services (e.g., Geek Squad costs)
  • Home internet access
  • Home telephone service
  • Hotels paid for with “points”
  • JP Morgan fees for travel reward program (or similar fees with other credit card companies)
  • Laundry or valet services for travel of less than four days
  • Medical expenses while traveling including over-the-counter medications
  • Mini-bar alcoholic refreshments
  • Movies (including in-flight and hotel in-house movies)
  • “No show” charges for hotel or car service – unless documented and approved by department
  • Optional travel or baggage insurance
  • Parking tickets or traffic violations Personal accident insurance (domestic)
  • Per diem costs for U.S. travel expenses. Per diem is permissible only for international travel.
  • Personal entertainment, including sports events
  • Personal items purchased while traveling including toiletries, magazines, books, newspapers, etc.
  • Personal luggage and briefcases
  • Personal property insurance
  • Personal property lost or stolen
  • Personal telephone calls in excess of reasonable calls home
  • Pet care
  • Saunas, massages or other spa services
  • Shoe shine
  • Ski lift tickets
  • Souvenirs or personal gifts
  • Spouse or family member travel or meals
  • Temporary, vacation, or summer housing costs (rent, mortgage payment, utilities cost, etc)

For questions about any of the above list, and why they are not reimbursable as business expenses, please contact the Tax Office.


Tax Office
Suite C020 – Eastern High Campus
1101 East 33rd Street Baltimore, MD 21218